The new millennium requires a new library – the Central Library. The Central Library offers a public space open to all in the heart of the city. It will raise the profile of Helsinki and form the display window of this creative city.
It will be easy to come to the Central Library, as a beloved house of education, to concentrate, learn and work. It will be made into the city residents' own house where culture can be created individually or with others. This digitally intelligent library will provide the city residents with information to support their decision-making in everyday life. Learning, competence sharing and opening of contents are supported by means of different technologies.
The Central Library will complement the Töölönlahti culture cluster with a house of literary art, where literature finds new forms. A place of civic participation will rise opposite the Parliament House that will bring together those interested in city culture and civic participation.
Why central library is needed
- Open, non-commercial, public space – 2.5 million visits annually
- Information and skills for a more functional society
- Rich city experience created by the residents themselves
- The book's new life – a house of reading in Töölönlahti
- Pioneer in intelligent everyday life
- A library for all senses – a new programme every day
- The project plan is ready for the decision making 9/2014, legal 3/2015
- Construction begins 11/2016
- Topping-out ceremony in 2017
- The building is completed 8/ 2018
- Interior decoration and furnishing 9–11/2018
- The opening ceremony 12/2018